KMoAS September Acorn Letter

Poster: JenThies <jthies@polaris.umuc.edu>

Following is my letter for the Sept Acorn:

Unto the populace of this great kingdom does Baroness Genevieve d’Aquitaine,
Kingdom Minister of Arts and Sciences, send post-Pennsic greetings.

     I wish to thank those local officers who made certain to get their
quarterly reports to me on time.  If you have any questions if I received them,
please do not hesitate to contact me with your concerns.  I plan to publish in
my next letter those groups who have missed more than one consecutive report.
Be forewarned that I do plan on communicating with the other Great officers
which groups have a poor record of consistency in reporting.  One missed A&S
report may not get a group suspended, but several missed reports throughout a
group could.
     I would also like to put a call to all those who have been involved in A&S
competitions in the past to contact me with their pet peeves about judging.
Whether this is from a judge’s perspective, or from that person being judged, I
would like all comments.  I realize that this may involve a substantial amount
of correspondence, but I feel that it is necessary for me to solicit these
opinions for me to uphold my promise to serve in this office.  I do plan on
holding classes at the next University addressing such issues.
     On a completely different note, there are so many active groups in this
kingdom that spread the knowledge and spirit of the Arts and Sciences.  After
the success of the Kingdom Arts and Science Festival, I had the joy of attending
the Windmaster’s String Thing at Lady Francesca’s house the following Sunday.
This was a great inspiration to me upon having just taken office.  The house was
full of artisans working on tasks from bobbin lace to embroidery to tablet
weaving.  These gentles should be commended for their efforts in sustaining the
fiber arts.  They stand as a good example to us all.  Not only was the String
Thing an artistic experience, it was fun as well.  The good people of
Windmaster’s Hill are excellent and gracious hosts.

In Service,
Geva