Re: Tracing - was Re: heraldry rules (fwd)

Poster: Heather Swann <heather@pop.net>

> Heck, I've been doing this for years and I still don't draw freehand- I
> >always trace and use rulers and compasses and stuff.
> >
> >I didn't start with a light table, though...I started with a window with
> >the sun behind it!  ;)
> >
> >Miri
>
> Heck, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. There is plenty of
> evidence that medieval scribes traced and used real drafting tools, and
> they didn't even try to hide the hole the compass made. No scribe should
> feel guilty or inadequate about not being able to draw freehand.
>
> Genevieve (loves her light table)

Oh, I know- I've just noticed a tendency in the last few years in terms
of judging in A&S and so forth to treat entries as though the scribe can
draw, and should draw better than they have.  It's one of the reasons I
don't enter competitions.  In other words, certainly in Atlantia, I've
seen folks start looking for professional artistry, and giving low
points when they felt something wasn't up to that quality.  I'm not
saying we shouldn't have high standards, but I do think that judging
that way does discourage some folks who were otherwise becoming
interested in some arts and sciences.  And interest in such things is
one of the things the SCA tries to promote, after all.  At the last A&S
Festival, someone was told they should try drawing more of their scrolls
freehand.  <GUFFAW>  If I did that, it would be terrible!  :)  I can
trace like a bandit, but even after many art classes, freehand drawing
eludes me.  Just one of those things......that's why I'm always quick to
own up to my lack of drawing ability.  I can put the elements together
and trace them but if I had to draw them I'd be stuck.  Then again, I
guess you can always be sure I'm using period elements and styles!  :)

Miri