Re: Heraldry Fibs (was Re: heraldry rules)

Poster: Eldred@concentric.net

Greetings from Eldred!

Scripsit Neamhain:
> >Poster: Josh <dungeon@norfolk.infi.net>

> >>3.  Heralds do NOT have the power or authority to prevent anyone
> from>>displaying any device they please, registered or unregistered,
> >>accurately drawn or inaccurately drawn.

Technically correct.  There is nothing in either Corpora nor *Atlantia's*
laws that provide this power to the heralds.  I am unfamiliar with other
kingdom's laws, however.

> >I thought it was forbidden to display a device not registered by the
> College>of Heralds. Hmm.. Oh well. Looks like someone told me a fibb.
> >Tristan ap Elwin>Marinusian by birth hopefully Atlantian always.
> (slighty against Stilhaven now)

> This reminds me of those people who told me that i would be unable to
> display personal heraldry until i got my AoA or GoA.  Hah!  the only
> difference is that i call it a Device and not Arms.

I was told this when I first joined.  It is apparently a myth that
continues to be perpetuated.  However, there are some households (so I
have been told) that do place this restriction on their members.

Now, back to the 'technically' part.  Technically, anyone may display
arms, registered or not.  However, the loophole is Laurel's mandate as set
forth by Corpora--the registration of unique names and armory within the
context of the SCA.  By displaying arms not registered to yourself, you
are in essence violating the spirit of Corpora, if not the exact letter.
Display of unregistered armory isn't generally considered a problem--at
least not at this end of the Kingdom.  We simply treat the display as
assumed arms.  Displaying armory registered to someone else *is* a
problem--if people are aware of it.  In most cases, a simple request
suffices to clear up the issue.  I may be going out on a limb, here,
but for the thicker of skull, a Court of Courtesy or a Court of Chivalry
*could* technically be called.  I have yet to hear of such a case,
however.  Would any other Herald care to support or refute these claims?

In service,
Eldred AElfwald
Gordian Knot Herald