Re: "Making a Medieval Single Pole Pavilion"

Poster: Heather Swann <heather@pop.net>

> (snip)

> David Kuijt speaking, known as Master Dafydd ap Gwystl in the SCA.
>
> (snip)
>

> > 3.    Lastly the article suggests not to skimp on the canvas.  I agree, but
> > I'm also on a budget. Anyone know of a good substitute for canvas, or maybe
> > a good outlet source?
>
> (snip)
>
> I strongly advise you to buy a sunforger-type pre-treated canvas that is
> resistant to mildew and rot, as well as waterproofed.  The waterproofing
> isn't as important as you might think -- canvas is quite waterproof by
> itself.  But you will rue the day you built it when it comes back
> mildewed.  I am speaking from experience, here -- I will never make
> another pavilion that isn't pre-treated.
>
> Good luck!  Feel free to ask me in private if you have any further
> questions on the pavilion design.
>
> Dafydd ap Gwystl
> kuijt@umiacs.umd.edu

I would like to strongly second this- painting the waterproofing, etc., onto
your tent/pavillion/whatnot can pretty much knock you out.  The fumes from my
tent were overwhelming until it dried.  Painting it with the stuff made me ill.
Conversely, painting designs on it didn't have the same effect using latex
paint.  The fumes from waterproofing are MUCH worse than those from paint.

Miri