Scouting Report (was Re: Tally Who?)

Poster: boroghul@bellatlantic.net (Grey Randall)

>     First obtain your four-footed motive power.  It's not like you, Dafffyth,
>to put the cart before the horse.
>
>    (Sigh) Signed, James of Rutland, who, with Master Daniel, is as poor as an
>ecclesiastical rodent this year...and therefore cannot go to Pennsic.  Who
>longeth, yea fainteth, for the courts of the merchants, the tents of the
>merchants, the bardic circles, the displays of the merchants... for the cloth,
>the gems, the instruments, the books, the carvings, and all those little
>purchases which make life more gracious.
>     ...Quoth Master Daniel,    "...awwww...."   I should have known I
>wouldn't get a word out unedited...James

Aislynn and I just got back from Shopping weekend, there are more merchants
this year.....I believe one gentle said there were an additional 80
merchants.

At first, our teenage son did not want to go.  For the last 2 weeks of
July, Aislynn and I heard every possible excuse for not going to
Pennsic...then, there was  the drive up.....I was sorely tempted to leave
the surly teen somewhere in the mountains on I68, but then I realized that
it would take a miracle for Aislynn and I to have any other blonde and
blue-eyed offspring to replace him.  We arrived at Cooper's Lake around
11:30 pm Friday night....As we were pulling away from Troll a quiet voice
pipes in from the back of the truck "M-mom...Dad? Next Year, can we stay
for two weeks?"

Saturday morning, I was awakened by the sound of men jogging and calling
cadence....Aislynn hid my bow, and without coffee I simply did not have the
ability to find it. Aislynn and I went to Beast and Boar for breakfast, and
then met with the members of House Azami and House Bretone (Yay  My kniggit
came to Pennsic!!!!!!!) Of course, there was the usual spectacle of
Marathon Gang Shopping....We descended upon Master Talbot like a swarm fire
ants on an ice cream cone and even tried to take away his newborn son (He
wouldn't sell....those round eyed westerners can be so untrusting) That
evening Baron Corun threatened to intrduce my son to belly dancers.  I
threatened Corun with My son coming to live with him. Corun also introduced
me to the most hideous Portabello stuffed raviolli in the world.  These
things were so bad, I had to choke down 9 more of them to confirm just how
revolting these things really are.. Yup.. don't eat them...These are not
the tasty morsels you are looking for.....you can go about your
business...move along now. Just ignore that Mongol behind the curtain with
the bib and bread loaf in hand. I made the mistake of going into
Yumi's........He has finally finished a bow I have been keeping my eye on
for the past 5 years.  Did I buy it?  No...I want to stay married.....

Sunday....More Marathon Gang Shopping. Master Peter finally arrived, and of
course, the shrewd business man that he is, he tripped me up and pinned me
to the spot in his stall by filling me in on the exploits of his cats while
his (And Frederick, I mean this with nothing but the sincerest
affection...) knuckle-dragging-hammer-breaking-slashed-and-puffied
journeyman flunky placed accessories with green jewelry on display  KNOWING
that malechite anywhere near Aislynn's red hair is like kryptonite to
me.....I was reduced to a drooling idiot...And before Master James can
ask....I normally don't drool...I'm usually just an idiot. Even as my hands
were trying to empty my purse into Master Peter's coffers, Aislynn
purchased a set of cloak pins herself.

Oh.. on the front with Master Peter's cats......(Odd...I live 5 minutes
away from the man, but we wait until Pennsic and 12th night to talk to
eachother...this must end....)  Hobgoblin the tough cat extraodinaire can
now be dominated by a Beanie Baby!  Goblin decided to pick a fight with a
fox beanie baby....Now never mind that this "thing" is attached to Mom's
hand....it ignored Goblin when he bit it on the ear....it ignored Goblin
when he put his paw on top of its head.  It then "walked" its way across
the bed and placed its paw on Goblin's head.....Goblin lowered his ears and
submitted to the beanie baby.   Master Peter wins this year's competition
for having the silliest cat...Even though Aislynn and I have five prime
contenders living with us.

Back to Pennsic Shopping......

The clapboard church has moved.  it is now closer to Potter's Hall and the
food court.  There is a new LARGE structure where the clapboard church used
to be.

Aislynn and I had to pay the basket man a visit.  You see....Aislynn,
Arthur, and I are the property of 5 possesive cats, one or possibly all of
them working in cooperation decided to do something unpleasant to our
shopping basket in retaliation for opening "The Closets"....They know that
if the basement closets are opened for more than 15 minutes, we will be
gone for more than a day....they don't like that.  New basket..Check! but
wait...it's empty...we need more stuff!  Quick....back to Poison Pen
Press!!! (Arrrgh...more cook books me Hearties...Aaaaargh!) There's
Andrixos...you block that group of women....you cause a diversion in the
street....I'll pay for the trim and run back to camp!  Something about
Pennsic makes an ordinary shopping trip become a contact sport that
Washington DC street basketbrawl players would be hesitant to participate
in.  Then there are the annual shopping rituals....Trying to sell Arthur to
Brok the Badger as cheap labor.......trying to buy something in Potter's
hall (That is...something the Azamites haven't already claimed as their
own...I almost bought a book out from under her Grace....I'm not insane
enough to bid against her AND the rest of her household for pottery)

Sunday evening.....The (short) first Baronial Court for Ponte Alto.
Aislynn steps down as Seneschal...I GET MY WIFE BACK!!!!!!! As soon as she
turned the office over, I tossed her up into the air.....She's so much
lighter now!  I made a mad dash to Clan White Wing's encampment to pay my
respects to Memu and Temur, packed the truck, and made the mad drive home
(had to....new job, no leave, and an intern whose favorite words are
"Oooooh What does this button do?") Arthur was surly the whole way
home....he now didn't want to leave.

The cats were exstatic to see us.  I went upstairs and untangled one from
the bedcurtains.  We still haven't emptied the truck.  In fact, I am
looking out of my window and into the parking lot, where some coworkers and
other tennats of the building are walking past it, looking into the window,
shaking their heads, and walking away...Doesn't everybody keep bows,
arrows, round shields, elk antlers and rawhide in their car?

That's my two days at Pennsic....not much else aside from a few minor garb
mishaps (desk-job.....my gut is expanding like the Mongolian hold over
Eurasia)

To those on their way up. It is oppressively hot!  the ground was dry and
hard...the sun unforgiving, and water and ice were selling out fast.

GOOD NEWS!!!! we don't have to drive all the way into town for supplies.
There's a new 24 hour Sheetz gas station/mini mart on 422 just past route
19!!

That's all for now.

Yours,

Lord Boroghul Khara/m.k.a Grey Randall
"Milla nummi pro capite hominis nothum inconsiderati qui ultimam poculum
potus capit neque novam ollam fabricatur!"