Re: Crying in your beer/mead/drink....

Poster: Eldred@concentric.net

Greetings from Eldred!

Scripsit Michael:
> On 11-Aug-98 Terry L. Neill wrote:
> >
> >Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <longshipco@hotmail.com>
> >
> >Eldred AElfwald wrote:
> >>Why is it that the rest of the world must grind to a halt for the >sake
> >of Pennsic?  I know about 10 people from my entire Barony (and >this is
> >a huge...tract of land) who are going to Pennsic.  Must we >who stay
> >behind simply do *nothing* but weep at our 'misfortune' at >being 'left
> >behind'?
> >

> >You know, I've always wondered this, too.  Over half the kingdom does
> >*not* go to Pennsic.  Why not have some events in August while our
> >friends are enjoying themselves at Coopers?  Real, regular events
> >instead of pity party potlucks.  Maybe a collegium or something.
> >
> >Interkingdom Anthropologists want to know....
>
> Well, you've got to figure that many (most?) of those not going are
> not going due to:
>    a) Mundane conflicts
>    b) Budgetary constraints
>    c) All of the above.
>
> This would cause one to suspect that the majority of the non-attendees
> won't have the time/resources for much more than a pity party potluck.

Milord, your logic escapes me.  The mundane conflicts could simply boil
down to not having an entire week's worth of available vaction time to
spend at Pennsic (and driving to and fro--it's over 8 hours from here),
yet we still have our weekends available to us (well, most, anyway).
Budgetary constraints?  How much does the average person spend going to a
day or weekend event?  You certainly don't need the same amount of
resources to go to Pennsic!  You appear to be comparing apples and
oranges, milord.

I still firmly believe that we have the ability to put on spiff events
regardless that Pennsic is going on.

In service,
Eldred AElfwald