RE: Thrusts to the Side of the Head

Poster: Dominica Harlan <DHarlan@RodgersBuilders.com>

Fighters and Marshalls,

This rule (4.E.) does not reduce the safety concerns in this matter at
all. It does not prevent fighters from thrusting to the head, but only
allows the recipient to ignore a shot that lands there, regardless of
power or accuracy.
So, the logical deduction is that fighters making head thrusts should not
do it, since they won't benefit by it and will definitely not make friends
by risking harm to others w/ an illegal shot. I think that safety is
presumed insured through the sense and honor of the fighter choosing not to
throw that shot.
{Disclaimer: not yet a heavy fighter, but longtime rapier fighter
commenting here.} All aspects of this game are dangerous and illogical if
not based upon the premise of all fighters bringing common sense and
chivalry to the field.

... This way, sneaks who try to avoid death by looking away will get what
they deserve, and others will not get blind sided. However this is only a
solution to the problem that the rule itself has created.
Do not confuse this head turning action with with dodging and
causing glancing shots, this will still happen. The problem is
substituting an area that can't have a telling blow for one that can.
I take exception to the word sneak. Personally, when I see a blade coming
straight for my face, I duck or block w/ my body and there's nothing
"sneaky" about it. This seems both rational and likely period. Perhaps
those who have a problem w/ others ducking when they see a spearman coming
should practice more at not being seen before they make the shot.

This rule does not contribute to the safety or enjoyment of the sport, and
it should be reconsidered if it is necessary or even beneficial.
Sincerely,
Smegmar
This rule may not be perfect, but it does lessen the number of shots to the
side of the head. It is not so much the head that is endangered but the
neck. Injuries shouldn't happen if spearmen aren't purposely making that
shot and if their opponents are properly armored. Personally, I'm in favor
of any rule that protects the health of my friends and eventually myself.

Yours in service,
Ceara