Re: Re: On the differences between the North and South...

Poster: EoganOg@aol.com

>My tuppence... what has fealty to do with loyalty/identity overall?  There
are
>scads of period examples of the same person having lands all over the place
>and giving multiple fealty.  "No man may serve two masters" was NOT the way
>the feudal system was set up.  If His Grace LIVED IN another Kingdom,  would
>he not be bound to seek its welfare?  Fealty is a means to that end, a stated
>pledge of support to that Kingdom/Crown.  Further, it is Perfectly Period to
>state fealty with "except for" clauses.

Actually, what happens when vows you made to two or more people oppose each
other in givien circumstances was the main theme for Courtly Literature in
Westrn Europe for much of what we consider the "High Middle Ages."  It was
almost like a game to see who could put the characters into the most unusual
and difficult situation, and then have them get through it somehow.  Tristan &
Isolde is a perfect example of this, although there are countless others.  See
the Art of Courtly Love for the basis of this genre.

Aye,
Eogan