Subject: Minors at events
Author:  "Terry L. Neill" <t_neill@hotmail.com> at INTERNET
Date:    10/19/98 6:25 AM

Poster: "Terry L. Neill" <t_neill@hotmail.com>

Greetings!

I joined the SCA as a minor when I was 12 years old.  My parents have
never attended an event.

I have been duena to minors going to events on several occations.  I
have dealt with all these issues from both ends.

First, I have no idea what the US and Canada now require for bringing
foreign minors across an international boundry.  I suggest you and she
find out.

Second, she will need identification to get back into Canada.  A drivers
license or state ID card works as ID to get back into the US if one is a
US citizen.  Find out what Canadian Customs requires.  (I went into
Canada as a minor-without-parents several times.  I had an Oregon ID
card for YEARS before a driver's license.)

Third, the SCA requires that a minor present a signed minor waiver at
the gate.  The minor waiver states: "The Minor will not be able to
participate in any SCA activities without entering into this agreement."
Unless she is a member of the SCA and has already had her parents sign a
minor waiver and has a blue card, she will need to get her parents to
sign a copy of the minor waiver.  The waiver is online at
"acorn.atlantia.sca.org/forms-waiv.htm" or should be available from your
group seneschal.  Rabah publishes it in the acorn occationally.

Fourth, if you don't obtain temporary guardianship papers, then get a
signed Consent for Medical Authorization.  In the US, doctors and
hospitals are not allowed to treat minors without their parents' consent
unless the injury is life-threatening or poses danger of sustained
injury.  They also aren't allowed to release minors into the custody of
anyone other than their parents/guardians.  A Medical Authorization form
allows the named parties to agree to that stuff and to remove the minor
from the facility.

A copy of the Medical Consent Form is on An Tir's web page.  Go to their
Constable's Handbook page.  There is a link to the medical consent form
there.  The An Tir Constable's Handbook states that the SCA *REQUIRES*
all minors at an event without parent or legal guardian to have a signed
form on their person and in the posession of the accompanying adult.
I've never looked up to see if that's and SCA-wide requirement or just
An Tirian Kingdom Law, but it OUGHT to be an SCA requirement, IMO.  I
certainly never take a minor to an event without one.

I've been told by a hospital in Richmond, that Virginia requires the
form to be notorized when signed.  When I take minors to an event in
Virginia, I get their parents to notorize the form.  Your state law may
vary.

Regards!

   - Anarra Karlsdottir
     Duena Extraordinaire