Re: Children's activities

Poster: "Bonne of Traquair" <oftraquair@hotmail.com>

>>     We need to be incorporating our children into our
>>      activities, not isolating them and looking for "special"
activities
>>      for them that give them the wrong idea about what the SCA is all
>>      about.
>
>I agree.  My own daughter (age 12) has grown tired of the children's
>activities at events (she got her AoA for helping with them) and is now
>more interested in doing what the adults are doing and being in the
main
>area of the event.  This weekend, at Mabinogi, she's volunteered to
work a
>shift serving in the tavern for 3 hours and is looking forward to it.
>
>If she had to stay at children's activities, I think she'd soon stop
>wanting to come with me.
>
>Lady Rhiannon ui Neill

My almost 12 year old also prefers to take part in the event and would
be horrified if segregated entertainment arrangements were made.  She
serves feast usually, and last weekend helped cook as well. She still
found time to walk round the site with other girls her age and giggle.
Also spent some time hunting up and reporting the whereabouts and
activities of some younger kids whose mom was in the kitchen.  She meant
to attend a class, but missed the rescheduling, she also considers
herself an archer though I don't think has had the opportunity to shoot
at an event yet and a scribe in training.  Everything she is interested
in, she is capable of attending the same beginning level classes as an
adult. (She loved University.)

Bonne