Re: Were any of the Scottish ever knighted?

Poster: Shalandara@aol.com

In a message dated 98-10-06 13:01:54 EDT, cosby@erols.com writes:

<< Is it farfetched to have a Scottish warrior knighted by an English king
 around 1130-1150?  Has this ever occured?  What would incite a king to
 knight a Scottish man?  I ask this, because in my research I see the
 border clashes and land rights questions bantered about.  Thank you in
 advance for any assistance.

Not exactly a "Scottish" warrior.  There were a good many Norman-English
feudal lords who began acquiring lands in the north of England after 1070
(when the north rose up against Willie and he wanted to secure the region).
The fact that some of these lands eventually ended up on the Scottish side
caused many of the reasons why the border lands kept switching back and forth
under Scottish and English control.  Also, after Henry married Maud of
Scotland, and sent knights to help her brother reclaim the throne, even more
good Normans got lands.  So you had several families that had holdings on both
sides of the border.  (The Bruces definately did -- one of the reasons why
they sold out Wallace was to protect their English holdings).  Now, several of
these were knighted at some point by the English King, but they also started
doing homage to the Scottish king for thoses lands.  I know that somewhere
around 1244 a lord by the name of D'Umfreville who was the Earl of Angus
(scottish) was knighted for his English lands.  Try looking in Crocketts or
Debretts Peerage -- a lot of the genealogy tracing the old lords is not fully
documented, but it does show the pattern of Scots-English lords and you might
find examples that fit your time frame.

Elizabeth of Hadley Hall
mka Elizabeth Ernst