Re: Waivers for Crown

Poster: Beth Morris <bmorris@access.digex.net>

Michael Ruttle wrote:

> Couple questions for those that have been around the block a couple times.
>
> In an earlier discussion it was shown that the Monarch has that ability to
> waive residency requirements for fighting in Crown. This begs two questions:
>
> 1) Historically, does the kingdom more frequently grant permission to fight
> or enforce existing residency requirements?

I've seen examples of both (refusal to waive and waiver) - I think it
depends on the specific situation that necessitates the waiver and the
monarchs involved.  I can think of scenarios where it makes more and
less sense to waive the requirement, and I'm sure others can too.

> 2) Doesn't one already require permission of the Monarch to fight in crown
> since the Crown can in truth deny anyone's request?

Yes, although a reason for denial is required (Section 6.4.1.5.1)

> First, a waiver is an exception to the rule.  If a waiver is done more
> frequently than it is not done than that waiver is technically the rule (of
> thumb).
>
> Secondly, a rule that requires special review by the Monarch and matches the
> special review privileges inherent in the Monarchy are redundant and silly.

True enough; I think the *idea* is that the one year is a *guideline*
for the Monarchs.

However you bring up an interesting point. Sections 6.4.1.1, 6.4.1.3 and
6.4.1.4 are certainly redundant to Corpora (Are you listening
Falcone?!)  6.4.1.2 is only somewhat different from Corpora at present
(it's more explicit), and 6.4.1.5 and 6.4.1.9 seem to be in direct
contradiction to each other.  Subsection 5 has the stronger and clearer
language, subsection 9 preserves the 'power of the Crown' somewhat
more....  Perhaps Their Majesties and the Clerk of Law could take this
up at the next Curia?

Keilyn