Re: Off topic but important

Poster: Mike Dullaghan <michael.f.dullaghan@adn.alcatel.com>

Yes, by all means vote, _if_ you know what you are voting on.

One of the fundamental assumptions of any democratic process is an
informed electorate. If you have not informed yourself on the issues
you are not part of the process, even if you do go to the polls and
flip a coin.

On the question of not voting because there are no worthy candidates:

   Of course not, the mere fact that they want the job makes them
   suspect. In most elections one is voting _against_, not
   for. Putting the lesser of two (or three) weevils in office is
   better than doing nothing and getting the greater.

   "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is
    that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
      -  Plato

   In my district there was one Congressional seat to vote for, but 5
   proposed amendments to the state constitution (3 I opposed, 2 were
   good enough that I was willing to vote for them), 4 bond issues (I
   actually supported all 4 this year) and one proposed local tax (I
   opposed). This is the real democratic process in action. I wasn't
   selecting someone in hopes that he would adequately represent my
   views, I was expressing these views directly. If you don't go to
   the polls you have given up _your_ political responsibility, just
   as if an elected representative didn't bother to vote in Congress.

   Even if you can't decide on some issues in an election, you should
   still vote on those you do care about. Nobody said you have to fill
   out every section of the ballot.

There. Didn't even wear out one soapbox, and this is one of my hot button
topics.

Michael the Eclectic, House Falconguard, Barony of Ponte Alto, Atlantia.
Vert, on an inverted chevron or, a reremouse(bat) displayed sable.

Armed man = citizen.  Unarmed man = subject.

Of course these are MY opinions! Whattya think, my EMPLOYER
could've thought this stuff up?