Re: Addressing Titles (mundanely)

Poster: keith.finn@erols.com

Actually, as I understand it, only a Baron is referred to as "Lord
Blank" (or more formally, "Lord of Blank").  An Earl would be referred
to as "My Lord of Blank" informally, but formally as John Doe, Earl of
Blank".  Viscount (an Earl's heir) is "the Right Honorable", a Marquess
is "Most Honorable".  A Duke could be "His Grace" as you say, or else
"Most Noble".  Referring to him as "Duke" would be pretty familiar, and
probably not proper, although Marlborough's troops occasionally referred
to him as "Duke John".  This is early modern usage (post union of the
crowns), and I don't know specifically how much it had changed from
earlier centuries, or been affected by English court usage (never trust
those Sassenachs to leave well enough alone, ye' ken).  Also, while I'm
babbling on, Laird was often used to refer to the Chief of a clan,
regardless of his feudal rank, so he might be as high as a Duke, or as
low as a Baron or even not necessarily noble at all, and still be "the
Laird" to his folk.  And I'm sure that the further one got into the
Highlands, the less one would find the more formal forms of address.

Finn MacIain