Re: Suspension of Certain Combat Arrows

Poster: luther@hell-labs.com (Luther, Alaric)

On 11 Nov 98, at 10:13, Gorm of Berra wrote:

> Poster: Gorm of Berra <gormofberra@mindspring.com>
>
> Lewis, Don wrote:
> >
> > Poster: "Lewis, Don" <don@infodata.com>
> >
> > Hello everyone.   There were allot and I mean allot of the baldar
> > blunted arrows used at Kingdom Crusades this year and I saw no problem
> > with these arrows.  What has happened that would stop the use of these
> > combat arrows?
>
> At Kingdom's Crusades this year there were two injuries caused by
> "bounceback" of baldar blunted arrows.

Fighting in the SCA results in injuries. EVERY fighter I know has had injuries.
They brag about them. It's why they sign the waver. I've seen fighters get
fingers/arms/ribs/teeth broken, I've seen head shots on approved helmets
cause concussions. I've seen eye injuries in woods battles, and from flying turf.

The risk from arrows is far less than rattan. If the issue is that eyes need to be
protected more, that's fine. Singling out balder blunts is not enough then. It
would be unfair to exclude their use.

Lord Alaric Luther
Seneschal of Stierbach