Re: Medieval diseases

Poster: marybeth lavrakas <Marybeth_Lavrakas@med.unc.edu>

I don't believe the plague left scars, at least not in visible areas.
Smallpox, however, was survivable (it seems to have mutated into a more
virulent form in the 17th C, if I remeber my course readings correctly!)
and left scars of varying degrees of severity.  Elizabeth I, for
example, was left with minor scarring (hands, I believe), while her
friend Mary Sidney was so badly scarred on her face she retired from
court and wore a veil in public to hide the scars.

KathrynRous