Re: Medieval diseases

Poster: clevin@ripco.com (Craig Levin)

> Poster: Bob & Diana Cosby <cosby@erols.com>
>
> Does anyone know of any sites that discuss Medieval diseases in the late
> 1200s?  I'm looking for one that's contagious but can be overcome and
> would leave faded scars.  Thank you very much in advance.

Might I suggest smallpox, still an epidemic disease well into
the 20th century? (The CDC and a few other medical labs still
keep a couple of Petri dishes of smallpox around, but since the
'70's, it's been eradicated as a disease "in the wild")

Survivors of the disease were usually left with pocks on the
face-small scars that would probably have been recognizable to
anyone from before the invention of penicillin.

--
http://pages.ripco.com:8080/~clevin/index.html
clevin@ripco.com