Winter Garden question

Poster: akratts@boole.com

Greetings all gardeners currently seated and drinking hot beverages in the
Merry Rose (now that it finally *feels* like December),

I'm looking for sources on gardening: to wit, I'm writing a poem about the
winter garden at the Governor's Palace set in Colonial Williamsburg when
the Governor really lived there. I need to figure out if any plants gown in
the garden in winter and if so, what names would they have.

In my distant past, I've been lucky enough to visit Colonial Williamsburg
several times, once in the winter, and to see the actual garden itself.
Unfortunately, it was several years ago and (unable to see into my future)
I didn't think to ask the docent about the possibility of plants in the
winter. Besides, they may have had different plants in the garden back
then.

The library is the next stop, of course, but I thought I'd send a general
query to anyone who might suggest a good source (web, book or otherwise)
off the top of his or her brow.

Regards,

Hildegund