Re: more questions (fwd)

Poster: James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain <alasdair.maciain@snet.net>

At 14:30 16-12-98 -0600, Pedro wrote:
> Here are some other questions I have if anyone has answers :)
>> 1)  Other than stocks, pillories,  hangings and decapitation, what other
>> tortures were publically used
>> during the reign of Henry VII through Eliz I?
>
>In England, or in other places? England's not exactly a
>torture-prone kingdom. On the other hand, England had trial by
>jury-but you had to _want_ it. If you didn't consent to trial by
>jury, you could be "convinced" by a treatment known as peine
>forte et dure. This was not exactly done in public. Essentially,
>they made the accused lie on a table, put a board on top of him,
>and piled weights on him until he agreed that trial by jury was a
>good idea.

Slightly outside our period, but the one victim of the Salem witch trials
who was not hanged was executed by "pressing."

Alasdair mac Iain

Laird Alasdair mac Iain of Elderslie
Dun an Leomhain Bhig
Canton of Dragon's Aerie [southeastern CT]
Barony Beyond the Mountain  [northern & southeastern CT]
East Kingdom
Argent, a chevron cotised azure surmounted by a sword and in chief two
mullets sable