Re: (no subject)

Poster: "Bonne of Traquair" <oftraquair@hotmail.com>

>Be not afraid to use you local libraries to their utmost limits.  Even
if you
>can not get the item through them, use their resources to identify
items that
>you do want.  Sometimes you can even locate which libraries that do
have it.
>That way, if you plan a visit to the Library of Congress lets say, you
could
>have done all your base research of indentifying which items you want
before
>you get to LC, that way you can immediatley start requesting items and
not
>spend half your day just trying to find a citation for one item.

My husband's experience at the Library of Congress a few years ago
indicates that it is not a bad idea to search their files (can be done
on-line) before hand and place the order for what you want so that it is
ready and waiting for you when you get there.  The building they are in
is large enough to make the idea of the librarian just dashing off to
get something from the stacks laughable. It could take them an hour or
two to make the round trip to pick up a few items.  Worse yet, not
everything is in that building.  If what you want is stored off-site,
you simply are not going to get it that day.  At least, not on a
saturday afternoon.  Perhaps if you went in on a weekday morning they
could manage it by the end of the day.

Bonne