The Accolade by Leighton

Poster: rmhowe <magnusm@ncsu.edu>

Bob & Diana Cosby wrote:

> Poster: Bob & Diana Cosby <cosby@erols.com>
>
> I saw a beautiful painting in a medieval sales magazine of a woman
> knighting a man.  I can't remember the magazine or the title of the
> picture.  Could anyone assist me or direct me to where I could find the
> magazine?  Thank you very much in advance and Happy New Year!
> Ha det sa bra,
> Diana Cosby
> cosby@erols.com

The title of the painting is the Accolade by Edmund Blair Leighton
(1834-1904). It is available from:

Around the Corner Fine Art
P.O.Box 1126 Centreville, VA 20122-8126  703-257-0821  800-999-3083

and it is in their current catalog in several formats as are a number
of other medievally themed paintings - all Victorian - but beautiful
anyway. The Print by itself is 24 x 34 and costs $47. If you go whole
hog you can pay up to $525+ for the mucho deluxe framed model. It's a
big print and will require a big frame.

We split the difference, bought it and had it custom framed here for a
bit less than half that. Maybe it inspired Hal Foster to do Prince
Valiant. There are some similarities.

Magnus