Stefan's files for January

Poster: Stefan li Rous <stefan@texas.net>

Greetings,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for January.  I try to send this to
the maillists around the end of the previous month. Unfortunately, the
holiday season got in the way last month. Hope everyone finds the new files
interesting or useful despite the delay.

I send a copy of this article out earlier to those on my editors list,
usually on the fifth of the previous month. If there are any editors who
are not on my list who would like to be, please send me your name, email
address, group name and newsletter name.

If anyone has suggestions, comments or complaints about these files please
feel free to email me.

Stefan

---------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past eight years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of
useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted
to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others,
I have placed this information in a series of files I call Stefan’s Florilegium.

Florilegium - (literally, "a gathering of flowers").  In medieval times,
Florilegia were collections of choice tidbits (from Ovid, Aristotle, various
popes, church scholars, etc.) arranged topically. Typically, a florilegium is
huge, encyclopedic, and contains only choice selections from particular works.

Those of you who have World-Wide-Web (WWW) access can get these files at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html.

A copy of my complete filelist is available in the Important Stuff section
of the website. This filelist or any of my files is also available from me
by email in either Word 6.0 or text formats.

Please be aware that often there is a delay between my announcement of
a new file and it’s becoming available at the website.

    Ld. Stefan li Rous   (512)892-0036    stefan@texas.net
    Ansteorra                             RSVE60@email.sps.mot.com

Here are the new files for this month:

under ACCESSORIES:
feathers-msg        Period uses of feathers. Feather sources.

under CULTURES:
Brasov-art          Translation of "Citizens of Brasov",
                       13-15th century by Bogdan.
Khazars-msg         Medieval Jewish kingdom near the Caspian Sea

under FOOD:
cookbooks3-msg      Reviews posted after 11/97.
cooking-oils-msg    Period cooking and food oils.
fd-Anglo-Saxn-msg   Food of Anglo-Saxon England. Referances.
fd-Normans-msg      Food fo the Normans. Referances.
food-gifts-msg      Period food items that make good gifts.
p-fd-coloring-msg   Period food colorings.

under SCA-EVENT-PLANNING:
gate-guards-msg     Handling gate-guard for events.

under TEXTILE ARTS:
naalbinding-msg     A Scandinavian needle art like knitting.

Here are some of the files that have had large additions in the past two
months:

banners-msg         Flags and banners. Period and SCA construction.
Bayeux-Tap-msg      The Bayeux Tapestry. Book reviews.
chicken-msg         Period and SCA chicken recipes.
clothing-books-msg  Book reviews, bibliographies and pattern sources.
dairy-prod-msg      Dairy products. milk, butter, curds, cream.
early-books-msg     Early books. Construction, size.
feast-serving-msg   Ideas for serving feasts. How to organise.
felting-msg         Felting and fulling of cloth.
finger-foods-msg    Ideas for finger foods at feasts and events.
games-msg           Medieval board games and sports.
Mongols-msg         Mongol culture, bibliography. Mongol horses.
mottoes-msg         Latin mottoes for SCA use.
patterns-msg        Sources for clothing patterns. Altering
                       mundane patterns.
perfumes-msg        Medieval perfumes and pomanders.
salads-msg          Period salads. lettuce, greens.
sauces-msg          Period sauces. Sauce recipes.
sewing-msg          Sewing ideas and stitches.
sugar-msg           Sugar and other medieval sweeteners.
tent-painting-msg   Painting and decorating tents.
vegetables-msg      Period vegetables. Recipes.
whole-pig-msg       Info. on roasting a whole pig. Experiences.
---
Copyright 1998, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the
contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication.
Notification may be by email and reformating is allowed.

<end>