Re: [C.SacredStone] Re: Shire meeting at 12th Night

Poster: LWright740@aol.com

In a message dated 1/9/99 11:09:23 AM EST, julien@spiaggia.org writes:

<<
 When Spiaggia was first discussed by its proto-members some six or
 seven years ago, there of course was the question of whether or not it
 would make it's appearance as a canton or a Shire.  However, due to our
 geographic obscurity and the relative 'newness' of the SCAdians in the
 area, our founding members decided we would be better served, and we
 could serve Atlantia better, as a canton.

 I'm pleased to say that I feel they were absolutely correct in that
 assumption, and I also pleased to say that we have a wonderful and
 mutually beneficial relationship with our parent Barony, Bright Hills.
 Knowing we could count on them for assistance or guidance during those
 first formative years were a great comfort -- unlike some other new
 groups, we had only one person (our founding seneschal) who had really
 been in the SCA before for any significant length of time, and while he
 had several year's experience, it can't compare to other groups that
 might have a Peer or other 'old hats' of the Society from which to
 learn.  Being a canton under Bright Hills afforded the luxury of being
 able to learn and interact with members who had considerably more
 experience than we did.

 Had we started out as a Shire right off the bat, I'm not sure we would
 be as healthy or happy of a group as we are today, and for that, I'm
 very appreciative to both our founders and our Barony.

I agree with your reasoning for being a Canton first.

 Over a year ago I was involved with a small group people in Robeson and
Bladen CO. NC that were interested in joining the SCA.  All I had intended to
do was teach them basic skills in garb and event camping.  Before long we had
combined with some people in Scottland Co..and we were on the way to being a
group.  I thought that being a canton would be better for a small
inexperienced group like ours.  It made me feel more supported and like there
would be more resources, but Windmaster's was having trouble with being too
big and they wanted us to go Shire.  It is a lot of work to get incipient
status and drive for members in an isolated rural area.  It is essential to
depend on the support of the groups around you.  My feeling was that as a part
of the Barony we could organize a better support network.
  The time was not right...it may be someday.

In the Southern Wilds of Attillium a Canton of Windmaster's Hill,
Lora Leigh