Re: Pennsic Letter

Poster: Julien de Montfort <julien@spiaggia.org>

> > century clothing/atmosphere.  Bikinis, fangs and elf ears are,
>IMHO, most
> > definately NOT the consequences of making a reasonable attempt at
>pre17th
> > century clothing/atmosphere.
>
> (And now a sarcasm warning!)
>
> And I still think custom would be served if the Chirurgeons banded
>together
> and went roaming around offering free ear docking or corrective
>dentistry
> for anyone so afflicted to help them acheive a more cosmetically
>normal
> appearance while at Pennsic. (see large grin here!)

Heh heh.  Actually, I've heard several people would just as soon treat
them like the period equivalents would be treated -- possibly burning
at the stake, exorcism, that sort of stuff. ;-)

It came up on a list (was it here?) some months ago, and one of the
things that was discussed was that, at least with the 'elves,' I'd have
no problem with people acting as such at events, so long as they did so
_by the ways period accounts related them_.  Most of the stories of the
fey and such from period show that in public, (when on those rare
occasions where they actually deemed themselves to been seen by the
public) they took great pains to not draw attention to themselves as
faerie folk.  Pointy ears in pubclic was definately right out, it
seems. ;-)

Julien