Re: Pennsic Letter

Poster: Julien de Montfort <julien@spiaggia.org>

> Wearing bunny fur or cabaret style belly dancing gear is not a
>deliberate
> attempt by anyone to demean, belittle, invalidate or otherwise
>threaten us
> as a Society.

If the person is a brand-spanking newbie, then yes, I feel you are
correct.  However, as related earlier, IMHO, brand-spanking newbies
probably shouldn't be at events such as Pennsic for just such a reason.
;-)

But we all know people that do wear such things even though they *know*
that's not what the SCA is about, and some do it deliberately because
they don't care about the SCA -- they may just be there for the "party"
(heck, you occasionally get people in t-tunics that are still at events
purely for the "party," but that's a whole differnt story... :->).

It's those sorts of people I personally have little respect for.  The
people that have been in for some time, know what is expected of them,
and *still* thumb their noses at it.  And, not coincidently, I think we
can all say that people like that are also more likely to be ones who
directly or indirectly ruin the experience for the rest of us, by not
caring about those around them and their impact on them.

And I'd hope that it's that element, if any, that the Pennsic Review
was designed to deal with.

Julien