RE: Really Cheap Fabric....

Poster: Becky McEllistrem <beckymc@MICROSOFT.com>

Poster: "M.  Stewart" <ms154@cornell.edu>

Greetings All -

Jocetta wrote -    <snipped>

> if you are ever in CT check out Affordable Fabrics.
> but _everything_ in the store is $1.99/yard.  (Or was last time I was up
>there).
<snipped>
>(in CT no sales tax on cloth for clothing, but taxes on drape and curtain
>materials:
>"No really, it's for a dress...yes, I  _do_  use all 10 yards to make my
>dress!")

My favorite places are down in Chapel Hill, NC.  "Mulberry Silks"  and "The
Cotton Boll"  Not really 1.99 a yard types of stores,  but I found that as
I became more conscious of historical accuracy they were great resources
for linnen gauze,  silks and pure wools.   Hit them off season,  or having
one of their "Dogs and Dinosaurs" sales,  and things suddenly enter the
realm of the reasonable.   It was more a slow fabric stalking process
rather than a blitzkreig.

<large snip>

I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet but if you ever visit Sacred Stone,
Gastonia
has a Mary Jo fabric outlet that is heavenly.  You're never quite certain
exactly what's
going there (sometimes your luck on good discounted stuff is hit and miss)
but I like the
fact that whatever cottons I want will be there.  This wasn't always the
case with Piece
Goods and definitely not the case with Mae's.

Rebecca