Chairs

Poster: "M.  Stewart" <ms154@cornell.edu>

Greetings all...

	Tristan wrote

Well...hmmm...
I have had a nagging question I've been looking for an answer for:
How do you build a basic period chair?

	First question...  how do you define basic?
	Popular chairs (ones I have seen frequently)  include:
the Viking chair -  2 pieces of wood put together to form an off center x.
	one piece of wood is shorter than the other... place the x on the
short side thus
	leaving one long leg to serve as a back and one short leg to serve
as the seat.
	Personally I haven't seen documentation on this one,  ask Magnus.
the Savauna Rollant (spelling is wrong,  I'm pretty sure)  -
	This is the common X chair that folds up.  It has plenty of sources
of
	documentation,  from Rome to France1800's,  pretty much a favorite
	pattern in and out of the SCA.  I have seen many variations on this
chair,  all
	with their own peculiarities.   The legs and arms (the X itself)
Can be either
	bent or straight.  Documentation I have  seen seems to be more heavily
	populated with the curved variety.   The seat is historically a
slung seat of
	leather with a large pillow stuffed with horsehair.  Other combinations
	are also possible,  you just have to look a little harder for the
documentation.
the Flemish chair -
	This is one of my favorites,  and my specialty.  It isn't basic...
so skip that.
the Finger chair -
	This is not the proper name of this one.  Some examples are even
classified as
	the X chair above.  But immagine a series of interlocking fingers
for the seat.
	This chair folds up very thin.  Examples I have seen are mostly
Italian
	around the 1450's to 1550's.  Easy to make once you have the angles
worked
	out.
then there is a whole world of other options...  I have seen everything
from plywood thrones to beautifully carved examples of the Savauna
Rollant(sp).  Take your pick.  The best place that I can think of to start
is talking to Magnus.  Then go through books.   Find something you like,
and that matches your skill level.
	Then enjoy the learning process and watch the shavings fly.

	Bridgette

Bridgette Kelly MacLean
The MacLean of Atlantia

(mka   Mari Stewart