Re: Chairs

Poster: David KUIJT <kuijt@umiacs.umd.edu>

Gorm of Berra wrote:

> My wife and I have gotten tired of standing all through events (her knee
> surgery might have something to do with it...), and we need chairs.
>
> WE've had the good fortune of being able to sit in a set of chairs owned
> by Sir Corby and MIstress Theora (I'm botching the spelling of her name,
> I know I am), and they seem to be the right stuff for us.  They appear
> to be examples of this type of chair.
>
> Where can I find plans for this?  My woodworking skills are
> adequate...not stellar but functional (and I still use power tools,
> don't live close enough to a river to abandon those yet).  My
> Leatherworking skills are mildly better than my woodworking skills (and
> no, I don't use power tools for that, thanks for asking :) )

The blue chairs Corby and Thjora have were made according to a design
of mine; they replicate a (red) chair I made for my lady, Countess
Elizabeth, some five years or so ago.

I have a full-size pattern for it, and quite a bit of documentation.  The
pattern replicates a chair showing Charles V sitting receiving a book,
AD something like 1380 or 1390 (I haven't got my books here).  While the
original chair was very likely hardwood, my pattern is made of good
plywood (laminated to double thickness) so the materials cost only $50
rather than $500.

In the long term I will be writing the chair up as an article for the Oak
or TI; or perhaps as a 10-page chapter in a Compleat Anachronist that is
in the planning stages.  And it will remain in the planning stages until I
finish my PhD, get a job, and get some free time to play SCA again, so
don't hold your breath right now.

The woodwork is within the skill of a woodworker of moderate skill, so
long as you can make a square mortise.

All I can advise you for now, Gorm, is to take some drafting paper and
copy out the curves and measurements of Corby and Thjora's chairs -- that
is essentially all the "plan" for the chair is at this moment.  The four S
curves are identical save that the two back extensions are longer than the
front ones (so as to create space for the leather back).  The cross-pieces
are all straight and the same length; there are six of them (two at the
feet, two supporting the seat, and two at the arms).

Regards,

Dafydd ap Gwystl