Re: OED On-Line (was Re: Elf-arrows and Shakespeare)

Poster: ladywindsor@altavista.net

I have no problems accessing the OED at
http://www.oed.com
And I'm not a student at on of the Virginia schools. I've been able to access it whenever I've needed to from whatever computer I happen to be sitting next to.
Julia

 ---- you wrote:

> Poster: "H L. Falls" <hlf@holmes.acc.virginia.edu>
>

> > Poster: "Joyce A. Baldwin" <jocetta@ibm.net>
> >
> > So how _does_  one get access to the OED on-line?  Melys just moved out on
> > me with her compact edition and I have started to drop hints  towards my
> > birthday in July...but if it's online...oooh!
> >
> > Jocetta
>

>    My apologies for accidentally getting people's hopes up -- several
> folks have asked about this...
>
>    The OED online is licensed to the Virtual Library of Virginia (the
> "VIVA Consortium") which consists of the publicly supported colleges
> and universities in Virginia.  If you have an account with one of
> these institutions (mine is at UVA), you can access it at:
>
>    http://etext.virginia.edu/oed.html
>
> but if you don't have such an account, you aren't permitted access...
>
>    Again, I apologize for raising false hopes.  I bet I remember this
> embarrassment the _next_ time I get an urge to gloat!
>
> --Landi, contrite

Lady Julia Windsor
Argent, a portcullis and a chief embattled azure.