Quenching and Master Atar

Poster: rmhowe <magnusm@ncsu.edu>

Donald Wagner wrote:

> Poster: Donald Wagner <polearmed@worldnet.att.net>
>
> I believe that Master Atar(Dr. Hrisoulas) actually did some testing with
> cadavers at one point, but that may have been for blade quenching and
> not blow force.
>
> Anybody know for sure?
>
> Falcone

I suppose you could ask him: JHrisoulas@aol.com

I heard a rumor a while ago that he was badly hurt when a belt
broke on a grinder and is recovering from an injury to his hand.

Incidentally, that bit about quenchind Damascus swords is in one of
the older metalworking books I've read, and is fairly gorey.

Apparently, the Syrians tied an Ethiop to a beam with his head
extending over the end, quenched the red hot sword in the small of
his back and thighs and tried it by cutting off the head. This was
obtained from a document found in an armorer's shop in Damascus
as I recall.

Magnus, depository of odd information rarely _asked_ for.  :)
but often answered.