My attitudes

Poster: Peter Adams <redduke@earthlink.net>

Clearly the long thread on acknowledgement shows what an important issue
this is.  No clear concensus has emerged as to what acknowledgement of
blows really is, though we have published the specific applicable rules
on this mail list.
	So, as a marshall, a Knight, and a fighter of Atlantia, I would like to
try to clarify my position.

	To paraphrase, I read the rules to say "judge as if you were doing this
for real"
	This means, to me, that if you were using a real weapon and the
medieval armor specified, that blows which would have damaged you must
be acted out to that damage.
	That as I see it is the only mandate as to accepting blows.

	For throwing blows, we have the excessive force rule, which paraphrased
says " Don't damage that person"
	 I hate to be general, but it is usually obvious when a fighter has hit
far harder than required- if that blow is not dangerous, it is "merely"
unkind (seperate issue, see about sanctions below), and if it is
dangerous, then the situation must be adressed.  It is not always the
attacking blow which is primarily responsible for damage. (I recall a
fellow with a kite string chin strap complaining about a face thrust...)

Putting these two concepts side by side, we see that in the rules, the
standard blow for acknowlegement lies in a small window between "you got
hurt" and "you must imagine if it would have hurt you..."

	However, there is nothing to say that you cannot acknowledge a blow
which would not have of itself damaged you.  Unfortunately, other than
exchanging "telling" blows before each bout to hint at the level you
will accept at, there is not a good method of ensuring we understand
what our opponent wants to take, and even that is no available in melee
situations where the worst conflicts of standards arise.  What *you*
accept and what *you* want to give as a killing blow ARE NOT GERMANE.
It is up to the opponent to define his "telling blow".
	I personally try to meet my opponent halfway.  I have a high
acknowledgement- I am very competitive, I am large, strong, and have a
good tolerance for pain.  I do however, recognize that if my muscles are
severed, I will fall down or drop my sword, or that if you hamburger my
bicep without cutting it that I will eventually drop my sword.  I know
that if my helmet were a light norman type helmet that you could concuss
or stun me well before that situation arose in my 12 guage bascinet with
mail.
	I even recognize that the sword that does not cleave mail may still do
greater damage to my soft tissue than a stick hitting NO armor, due to
the surface area of the contact, so you dont have to actually make me
drop my sword for me to acknowledge an arm- but it might seem close to
that for some, because the blow which I withstood would have been
crippling to them.
	Most of my opponents seem to be out on the field in a far more
recreational fashion.  Although they have demonstrated that they can in
fact deliver armor cutting blows before the authorize, they have chosen
to act out blows at a level which I believe to be far below the
published rules. (please note re armor cutting that if you can deliver
such a blow to a pell, you have demonstrated that skill- learning how to
do it against live targets is another thing)
	So, in generosity, I handicap myself to take closer to what my opponent
wants, as I hope they to try and understand my acknowledgement level,
and try to hit me harder than they themselves are comfortable taking. I
do not expect such generosity as my due from the many opponents more
able, skilled, and formidable than myself, though I accept it greatfully
when it is offered. As I say, it is always an act of generosity to
acknowledge lower, NOT an act of ignobility to acknowledge at the
defined (higher) level.
	I welcome participation at all levels of combat, and will fight against
most opponents with pleasure. When my level of control is lower due to
lack of practice, however,  I try to steer away from unskilled opponents
so as to avoid unpleasant accidents resulting in a high "ouch" or
breakage factor.

	  There is a current marshallate project to codify sanctions when
dealing with rules infractions such as excessive force, but don't hold
your breath, it will be at least six months before production, and
probably more like a year.  This is a big topic,  requiring a lot of new
definition in the rules, and is just getting started.  I would enjoy to
hear *privately* on contradictions in the current rules sets, and
suggestions for sanctions. No need to clutter the Merry Rose with
Marshallate traffic.

Badouin