Settling disputes, Was-> Re: Ack. at Renn. Faire

Poster: "Jennifer Thies" <jthies@umuc.edu>

Good Gentles,

It seems, more than anything, that some gentles have problems settling
these situations or disputes.  This happens in armoured combat, A&S
competitions and (in some other Kingdoms) in rapier combat.  Basically,
people seem to leave the field or hall upset about what happened, and
stew on the subject for a few days if not weeks or months.  This is not
a phenomenon related only to heavy combat.

I believe the rapier community in Atlantia has a system in place so that
after each bout, the participants are asked if they are satisfied with
the outcome.  In theory, if either party is dissatisfied, the bout is
refought until satisfaction is reached.  If I recall correctly, in part
due to this system, there are few if any ill-will discussions after the
fact.  They also do a calibration test before each bout so that each
party gains an understanding of what level the fight will be taken to.

I do not think that this system works in melee situations.  I would not
know, since I too am not a fighter.  That is what the Marshal's courts
are for at Pennsic.  However if most of the acknowledgment problems
occur in tourneys as opposed to melees, this method might prove
helpful.  This same practice could also, in theory, be instituted into
the arts as well.  When entrants pick up their entry and judging forms
or comments, they could be asked if they are satified with those, or if
they would like to speak to the judges about anything.

It is not a bad idea to settle disputes immediately if they cannot be
prevented from happening.  If at the Ren faire demo in question, the
fighters had been asked if they were satified, then the friend of a
fighter could have seen this resolution.  This also means that
greviances should not be brought up following, with the perception of ,
"You should of spoke up immediately afterwards."

Perhaps people are too sensitive, or not sensitive enough.  Food for
thought, suggestions and ideas gladly accepted.

In Service,
Genevieve
KMoAS- working on the arts situation

<snip>