Re: Settling disputes, Was-> Re: Ack. at Renn. Faire

Poster: Aedan Aylwyn <aedan@mindspring.com>

>I believe the rapier community in Atlantia has a system in place so that
>after each bout, the participants are asked if they are satisfied with
>the outcome.  In theory, if either party is dissatisfied, the bout is
>refought until satisfaction is reached.  If I recall correctly, in part

Close,  but the question is about satisfaction of the CONDUCT during
the bout.  The loser may not be satisfied as to the outcome but that
just means they need to make the parry next time. :)  It doesn't hurt
to remind them about questions of the conduct, however.

>due to this system, there are few if any ill-will discussions after the
>fact.  They also do a calibration test before each bout so that each
>party gains an understanding of what level the fight will be taken to.

This works in a perfect world.  No matter what, you always have people
who hold their comments until they can complain about it to friends.
Whether or not it is justified, it then tends to get exaggerated and you
end up with comments like the "kingdom of rhinos" (tm) business.

There's nothing like walking by the MOL table at a Champions tournament
at Pennsic and overhearing folks you don't know talk about how you
"obviously hit So-and-So when he was disarmed" when in reality the
disarming shot and the killing shot were done in the same motion.  Didn't
see exactly who made the remarks and didn't feel like addressing the crowd
at the time. In hindsight, I probably should have.

Like so many things, communication is the key.  Would that we had more of it.

Been there, heard the complaints... *G*

Aedan