Re: True SCA Story?

Poster: "E. T. Smith" <etsmith@compuzone.net>

Good Gentles All,
     It's not often that anyone can lend credence to an urban legend. In this case,
the aircraft carrier was USS Nimitz (CV-68), the officer was Captain Ed Clexton, USN
who was then commanding officer, and the SCA group was a Port the name of which I
cannot recall. Yea, verily. Captain Clexton had a lot of fighter pilot moxie and
really enjoyed seeing the heavy weapon fighters practicing on the hangar deck.
     The Russian Long Range Army (strategic bombers) Bear/Badger pilots routinely
conducted their graduation training exercise from the Murmansk/Kola Gulf area by
reconnoitering a U.S. Navy battle group enroute to or from the Mediterranean. Of
course, the Navy's task was to either elude identification or rendezvous with the
bombers and escort them while they were in the vicinity of the battle group. (FYI, I
did this on many occasions and usually found the bomber crews had the latest issue of
Playboy to hold up to their cockpit window.)
     On the occasion in question, Captain Clexton did call for the SCA fighters to
muster on the flight deck in armor and hold fighter practice. While I cannot say
NSTIW, I did hear the story from the horse's mouth....Captain Clexton.

Best wishes to all from a rather ancient mariner.
Thomas Smyth of Ayre