Re: Mercs for Hire! (fwd)

Poster: AEdric the Grene <AEdric@mindspring.com>

>Poster: Peter Adams <redduke@earthlink.net>

>	The attitude that there can only be two sides, and one principle to
>each side is a medievally untenable idea, the crusades (sic em Pedro) in
>particular demonstrating the fights over hierarchy among theorietically
>allied kingdoms.

If nothing else, the kidnapping and ransom of Richard the Lionhearted by
the Holy Roman Emporer is an excellent example.  Both England and the HRE
were on the "same side" of Christendom vs the Mid-East, but teh HRE found
time to profit off of Richard through Britain's coin.  (OK, I'm not so
smart, I just finished reading one of Sharon Kay Penman's medieval
mysteries which had that as background)

AEdric the Grene
House Howling Mouse