Re: Mercs for Hire! (fwd)

Poster: Julien de Montfort <julien@spiaggia.org>

> Especially Charles the Bold. Not a nice man. Just about the only
> person who had the chutzpah to charge the Swiss-and have half a
> chance of coming out of it. He didn't though. There's just
> something about polearms that does wonders to men on horseback
> with inflated ideas about their destinies.

Indeed.  That's always been one of my favorite historical "what if"
questions: What If Charles the Bold was not killed at the Battle of
Nancy in 1477?  Who knows, a honest-to-god Kingdom of Burgundy might
have developed in time (they weren't all *that* far away, really), and
today, we might have a country of Burgundy sitting on the European
continent.  Of course, that also might have made things interesting for
the way WWI and WWII would have played out...

Speculatin' Julien