Re: Estrella...

Poster: SWMyers@aol.com

In a message dated 2/16/99 6:50:03 PM, beckymc@MICROSOFT.com writes:

<< You may or may not be interested.  Did any Atlantians make it to
 Estrella and have as much fun?  I don't intend to start some controversial
 debate about sites, just thought you might like to read it. >>

I have a protege in CA whom I visit every quarter.  We decided to take in
Estrella for the weekend and had a fabulous time.

I also found the dust disturbing with my eyes and throat incessantly dry.
Still, I was told that the wind was unusual and not a typical occurrance in AZ
at that time of year.  The cold weather at night also seemed unusually
extreme.  Still, I thought the site was well-utilized with an excellent layout
for camping, fighting, and merchants.

What impressed me the most was that the number of period pavillions far out-
numbered the modern ones with the vast majority of encampments having a very
period "feel."  Conversely, I was also surprised at the small number of people
who simply walked around the event in modern clothing.  Estrella actually has
a a "day-trip" rate (which I appreciated), but I think it allowed for a few
"Ren Faire" attendees along with the SCA folk.  It didn't destroy the
illusion, it was just odd.

Aside from the men at Red Falcon Armoury, I didn't run into any Atlantians.
Still, I found the many people I met to be very warm and charming which, of
course, I've come to expect from most SCA members.  The air was very relaxed
and casual which I found quite refreshing.  And, naturally, the country was
staggeringly beautiful.

I didn't mind the coughing, but, oh, the sun-burn!  Now I know why Daffyd has
all those cool hats!  :)

BRAN TREFONNEN