what is chivalry?

Poster: scarlett goode <elfgoode@netunlimited.net>

Dear Gentles,

    If this subject does indeed come up often, then perhaps it is wise
to define thoroughly what is considered honest chivalry and what is
considered intrusive (as I belive a squire slapping a lady's hand is
intrusive as well as rude) in the SCA.

    For example, most ladies I know prefer to carry very personal items,
such as a purse, themselves.  The same would hold true for gifts they
intend to present or a cloak they may need if going in and out of doors
frequently.  A good lord might offer to hang a lady's cloak if there is
a cloak room at the site, but if she intends to use it in the near
future, she may opt to decline politely without particularly refusing
chivalry.

    So, as a general set of standards, what does everyone consider to be
reasonably chivalrous?  As a lady, I can accept the offer of a door held
for me, but do not expect a lord to come trundling halfway across a
parking lot to do so if he is the only lord around.  And when does
chivalry stop?  If your tent is full of gentles who refuse to leave
regardless of how late the hour and how many yawns you drop as hints,
does a lady then have the right to ask everyone to leave without being
considered rude?

Lady Elsa