Re: Courtliness, SCA, Cloved Fruit

Poster: Svanhildr@aol.com

In a message dated 2/17/99 4:04:01 PM Eastern Standard Time, srgiles@erols.com
writes:

> I have also seen an unburdend fighter walking beside my lady (and talking to
>  her) as she was struggling to carry a heavy and cumbersome load.  I went
>  sprinting across the field to help her.  The fighter never offered to help
>  her.
>
>  There are more issues that go hand in hand with courtly love, and what it
is
>  not.

Sigh ... this is all too common now.
Back in the good ol'days when I first started in the SCA (1986?, was it really
that long ago? hmmm.) Any way, A lady's hand was kissed and games were played.
I never saw a lady carry more than a basket... If even that, there was often
someone to come to her aid. Now I took this as a different aspect. Courtliness
embodied to me back then at age 14 (ack) that you should help anyone that
needed it. (This was also something that I was brought up with, My Mamma
taught me right <grin>) I do find it difficult to accept when I see some Lord
struggling with many boxes and I offer to assist and almost send him into an
epileptic fit. As those people get to know me better It is easier for me to
assist them, but still unless I am in the official role of a retainer many
people have difficulty accepting help. Guess society is becoming more
independent. On the other hand when I was forced to lift more than was safe
for me I tried desperately to find someone to assist me, You know what
happened? All the people I asked said they couldn't help me and went about
their activities. So I managed to take care of it myself by being resourceful
and using Physics.
I feel that the problem Lies with new people not being instructed in the fact
that events are fun but they aren't all party and leave types of things. If
everyone does a little then everyone can have fun. I find this lesson to be
getting shuffled into the cracks in the floors. It is time to bring back the
old days!
Hmmm reenacting in a reenactment group...Interesting thought.

Svan