Re: Helping at events (was courtly behavior)

Poster: Alana Cleary <lulumialu@yahoo.com>

> In that spirit I ask,
>
> 	When was the last time you volunteered to be in charge of a portion
of
> an event?
>
> 	How often do you offer even an hour of service to an event staff
> member?
>
> 	Won't you consider calling the autocrat or head cook of the next
event
> in your area and volunteering to help?
>
> Thank you for your time in considering my opinions.

I agree; but in the time that I have worked events, I can tell you
that 75% of the people in attendance don't want to do kitchen work, or
come sweep before the site opens, or clean toilets--and thats fine,
they are in no way obligated. All they have to do is pay the fees, and
they're clear.

There are those who want to keep the event going smoothly, and there
are those just along for the ride. I, personally have always been the
girl who raised (and still raises) her hand to volunteer for
*everything* (which has recently taken up more of my time than there
are hours in a day). If the SCA was made entirely of the volunteering
types...well, too many cooks spoil the soup, as they say.

I totally agree, tho. The Society could use a few more eager, helping
types..like many of the children, for instance.

Alana
==
Ailienora Inghean Ceanniadeach ICQ#-31035568

-Per pale vert and azure, on a chevron inverted counterchanged fimbriated between a sun and a crescent, an estoile argent.-