Re: Courtly Love

Poster: "Jason & Shannon Smith" <srgiles@erols.com>

Greetings All!

Her Grace has very eloquently stated the Andreas Capellanus view of courtly
love.  Many consider him to be the de facto source of courtly love.  Others
see what he wrote as satire about the courts of Southern France in the mid
to late 12th Century.

I do not think of Andreas Capellanus's writings as the pinnacle of courtly
behaviour.  There are many songs written by troubradours who spread the
"Cult of Love" throughout France and into England.  I see these as more
accurately showing what courtly love was then.  Also check out the "Breton
Lays."  Good Stuff.

>Like all games, this one can be played well or poorly!  It helps to ensure
that
>all players are aware of the rules and agree that it is, indeed, just a
game.

But as it can be seen, if the 'rules' are written by different people there
is sure to be a problem.  Especially if one does not consider one of the
sets of 'rules' to be valid.  Not everyone is going to be on the same page
on this one.

In Service,
Andrew Grey