Re: The Taxman Cometh

Poster: "William T. Fleming" <gorp@erols.com>

> They are evil, but hardly necessary. This country got along quite until
> the 1930s with NO income tax, and for many years after that with a
> purely voluntary income tax (no one had to pay, they could pay if they
> wished).
>
> --
> Mario

Shall we then return to the infrastructure and social service free
society of the days before 1930.  Would we even be able to write to each
other in this way if not for the research and utilities developed
through government funding.  Could we drive to our lovely high paying
jobs in our fast moving cars, complaining of the traffic which has
slowed us to a mere thirty miles per hour ( a blistering and dangerous
speed by the standards of 1930's roads and vehicles).  Would our
military have had the funding it needed to keep us free.

I do not like paying taxes but I do like my standard of living and my
freedom to complain about how much I have to pay.

Long Live Income Taxes!

--Ruaidhri

(Besides one of my ancestors came up with the first income tax for
President Lincoln.)