English Anarchy Event

Poster: Christine/Ealdthryth <neith@concentric.net>

Greetings from the Autocrats of Passage to the East I:  The English
Anarchy!

Here is the flyer for the English Anarchy event.  Please note that
authorizations and armor inspection will occur promptly at 9:00 am
followed
by Royal Court at 10:00.  For additional details about the event, please
visit http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/8502/event/

In service,
THL Eldred Aelfwald
Lady Ealdthryth of Humberstone

April 9th - 11th  Passage to the East I:  The English Anarchy
Canton of Falcon Cree, King's Mountain, SC

   Henry I has died from a surfeit of lampreys, and Empress Maud has
come to
England to claim the throne that her cousin, Stephen of Blois, has
claimed
for his own!  The Earl of Gloucester supports his half-sister Maud, and
has
defied King Stephen!  Come join either the forces of Stephen or those of
Maud
and Gloucester to determine which of the Conqueror's grandchildren shall
rule
the England of 1135-1154.

   Join us for a day in the England of the mid-twelfth century.  The
Canton of
Falcon Cree presents an event centered on the Anarchy of King Stephen's
troubled reign.  When you arrive at the site, you must declare your
support for
either Stephen or Maud.  Throughout the day there will be ample
opportunity to
court favor with either (or both) potential monarchs.  Sir Ælfred of
Cres has
designed a series of castle and town sieges to represent the battles for
control
of key English strongholds of the 12th century.  People may change sides
throughout the day.  Can you provide a convincing argument to garner the
patronage
of Stephen or Maud?  A prize will be awarded to the "best turncoat".

A&S:  Competitions in 1) Wool-based arts, 2) the medieval travellers'
kit,
3) best heraldic display.  In addition, we encourage people to bring
12th
century crafts and demonstrate their making.  Bring out and wear your
best
early 12th century garb for the occasion!

   This event is the first in the Passage to the East series of events.
For
information, please contact PassageEast@usa.net, or see our web pages
at:
http://members.xoom.com/PassageEast .  Click on The English Anarchy link
for more
information about this event and the reign of King Stephen.

Site Info:  Site opens at 5:00 pm, Friday April 9, and will close at
Noon, Sunday, April 11.  Absolutely NO PETS!  Discretely wet.  Armor
Inspection and
authorizations are at 9am.  Royal Court begins at 10am.

Costs:  On-site/On-board $13; Off-site/On-board:  $11;
On-site/Off-board: $7;
Daytrip: $5.  Children under 12 are 1/2 price, and babes in arms are
free.
Send check or money order payable to Canton of Falcon Cree/SCA, Inc.
Remember,
the only reservation is a paid reservation!  If you plan to be on-site,
please
request your cabin space when you make your reservation.  You may
request a
cabin in Lincoln, Oxford, or Shrewsbury.

Autocrat & Reservations: THL Eldred Ælfwald (J.T. Thorpe) & Lady
Ealdthryth of
Humberstone (Christine Grewcock) P.O. Box 26314, Greenville, SC   29616
(864) 836-5065 (NLT 10pm)  autocrat's email: eldred@concentric.net
reservations:
ealdthryth@altavista.net If you would like a confirmation of your
reservation,
send a SASE or your email address.

Feast:  Baron Corwyn Wodewarde (Bill Hudson) is planning a
close-to-period feast
based on documented recipes.  A menu will be posted on-site in the feast
hall
and at troll.  FEAST SPACE IS LIMITED TO 100!

Directions:  Take your best route to I-85 just north of the SC/NC state
line.
Take exit 2 (Kings Mtn. Military Park).  Go south on 216 through Kings
Mountain
National Park.  Follow the signs to the organized camps (entrance is
next to the
Natural History Farm) and Camp York.  Troll will be located in the feast
hall.