RE: companion and principal of the Pearl

Poster: Becky McEllistrem <beckymc@MICROSOFT.com>

I'm not sure what Mistress Keilyn means here exactly except that these were
the following definitions I was taught years ago.  Keep in mind that I've
travelled many kingdoms and have not been in Atlantia since dirt so
traditions from Atlantia's standpoint may be different.

Principal:  The original member of the order.  The first person in the order
to receive such an award.

Companion:  Any member who has received an award.

Current version of Principal:  Those individuals who have taken on
"administrative" (sorry I can't think of a better term) duties of the order
for the Crown.

Note:  Traditionally the newly elected person to take on "secretarial"
duties for the Crown has also been called principal but as the Laurel Queen
of Arms noted in the last curia these folks are not the actual "principal".
The Principal is the first or oldest member of the order depending on your
kingdom's definition.

As Mistress Addelicia (sorry if I chew up the spelling) mentioned in the
curia most principals realize they are not the original members of the order
but "secretary" or "clerk" is an extremely offensive or annoying term to
most.  So as a courtesy we in Atlantia continue to use the term "Principal"
to mean those that fulfill the administrative duties of the order.  (I hate
to say secretarial duties as there is more than just paper-work to be done
for the Crown from what I see.)

Quite frankly I like the term "Premier" member of the Order.  To me it gives
respect to the current "Principal" while remembering the original member of
the order.

Please excuse me as I wait for my mailbox to fill up with those who would
like to correct me.

Rebecca