Re: Squires swords

Poster: Bob & Diana Cosby <cosby@erols.com>

> Diana Cosby wrote: When a squire begins his training with arms, doesn't he
> use a man's sword?  What I mean is, isn't it the same length, weight, and
> size of the one he will finally use?  Another person and I were having a
> debate, as the opposing argument is that squires would train with wooden
> swords prior to moving up to 'real steel.'

Susan and Frank Downs wrote: Isn't the answer to this question likely to
depend on precisely what time and place the squire is from, and possibly even
what household or even individual he is training with?

~Takenoshita Naro,
    My setting is England in 1291.  I honestly hadn't thought of that.  It
makes sense that some households would begin the squire with lighter swords,
then graduate as necessary.  Interesting thought.  Thank you very much.
Ha det sa bra,
Diana Cosby
cosby@erols.com