Re: Good Gentles All

Poster: Caitlin Cheannlaidir <caitlin@phosphor-ink.com>

 i *do* have a name, both are
>>  somewhat prounounced the same but the spellings differ.
>>  one is a more modern (easier to prounounce and spell) version and one is
>>  in the older Irish (older, more impressive and period)
>>  my question ...(at long last!) is....
>>  virtual drum roll]
>>
>>  which to choose?
>>
>>  Option A: Grania O'Flaherty Gruffydd
>>  Option B: Grainne O'Flaithbheeartaigh Gruffydd

Two comments:

First, if you go with Option B, resign yourself to having it mangled, both
in pronunciation and in spelling.  My byname is "Cheannlaidir," and folks
have trouble with that -- and it's pronounced as it's spelled.

Second, you don't have to make a decision now, just because you are
becoming a member; while there's a blank on the form for SCA name, you can
leave it blank if you want.  "Registering" as a member doesn't have
anythign to do with "registering" your name in its final form, which is a
separate process entirely.  My membership card has had three different
spellings of my SCA name, as it evolved, and nobody ever knew or cared what
was on there.

--Caitlin Cheannlaidir
  caitlin@phosphor-ink.com
  http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/7249

	Interested in making glass beads?
	To join the SCA-Glassworker's List, send "subscribe" as the text of a
	message to <compagnia-request@phosphor-ink.com>