Re: coat of arms research

Poster: EoganOg@aol.com

In a message dated 4/23/99 2:33:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Julien writes:

> > However, one word of warning -- generally speaking,
>  > it is
>  > overwhelmingly unlikely that the 'family arms' you
>  > speak of are
>  > actually your honest-to-god family arms.  Arms were
>  > granted to a
>  > specific family and not to the family *name*.  One
>  > family with the
>  > surname of "Smithson" might have been granted arms,
>  > but that doesn't
>  > mean all people with the Smithson surname were
>  > entitled to use those
>  > same arms.

And in places like Britain, Arms are granted to an individual, and only the
head of that noble family may bear the Arms.  They actually have strict laws
against the unauthorised display of Arms.  As I understand it, though, there
are some European nations where Arms are granted to entire families...
Aye,
Eogan Og
Tighearn Eoghan Og Mac Labhrainn, CP
Sangster of Scotland and Atlantia
Chronicler of the Militant Society of Bards
http://www3.wcu.edu/~mn13189/sca.htm
Checky Or & Vert, two lions combattant, tails knowed, in base a
mouse couchant, all within an orle of roundels, Argent.