Re: coat of arms research

Poster: John Neri <gio3339@yahoo.com>

Sorry to stick my nose in un-invited but while Julien
is technically correct, I have designed arms for folks
(for 20 years outside of the SCA and before my
participation in same) based on their "family arms"
but differenced (changed) to make them copyrightable
to the individual concerned.  Perhaps your local
herald could incorporate elements of the device in
question into a new device for you.
Fionn a Ban

--- Julien de Montfort <julien@spiaggia.org> wrote:

> Poster: Julien de Montfort <julien@spiaggia.org>
>
> > I have a copy of my coat of arms from my family
> but it is in black
> >and white
> > and haven't a clue to know what the colors are.
> Any suggestions of
> >how to
> > find out? The only reference listed was from
> Mathew's Complete
> >American
> > Armoury which I can't find :(
>
> Is there a written description of the armory?
> Otherwise, is the black
> and white drawing shaded in any way (dots, hatching,
> lines, etc.).  In
> many line drawings, if there is hatching or shading,
> the different
> types represetn different colors.
>
> However, one word of warning -- generally speaking,
> it is
> overwhelmingly unlikely that the 'family arms' you
> speak of are
> actually your honest-to-god family arms.  Arms were
> granted to a
> specific family and not to the family *name*.  One
> family with the
> surname of "Smithson" might have been granted arms,
> but that doesn't
> mean all people with the Smithson surname were
> entitled to use those
> same arms.
>
> Julien

> Seigneur Julien de Montfort                  De
> sable, seme d'hermines
> "Solum Dice Nullus Sunt Suficio"          d'or, un
> chef emanche argent
> Seneschal, Web Minister, pursuivant@large
> Canton de Spiaggia Levantina
> http://www.spiaggia.org
> Bright Hills, Atlantia
> julien@spiaggia.org

> http://merryrose.atlantia.sca.org/
>             Submissions:  atlantia@atlantia.sca.org
>         Admin. requests:  majordomo@atlantia.sca.org

===
If your joy comes from outside you, you are the leaf subject to
every wind that blows.

When your joy is inside you, then you are the rock and the
wind must pass you by.