In-Kingdom Heraldry results for April - LONG

Poster: "Beverly Robinson-Curry" <corvus2@worldnet.att.net>

Please refer any questions to Lord Evan at damont@wolfstar.com

29 April, 1999 CE (AS xxxiii)

Unto Rhiannon Ui Neill, Triton Principal Herald, the Atlantian College of
Heralds, and all others who read these presents: greetings from Evan da
Collaureo, Golden Dolphin Herald.

The April Letter of Intent meeting was held on Sunday, 11 April. I was
assisted in the preparation of these letters by Dominus Herveus d'Ormonde
(Morse), Doña Isabella Benalcázar (Nameless Hills, er, Northern One, er,
Bright Mar- oh forget it already), Dom Pedro de Alcazar (Drakkar), Seigneur
Blaise de Cormeilles (Ponte Alto), Gospozha Nostas'ia Stepanova Kievskaia,
Lady Roswitha of Suanesfeld and Alicia of Greyhill.

Expected LoI meetings for the future include Sunday, 16 May, Saturday, 12
June, and Sunday, 11 July, all at places TBA.

All submitters will take corrections unless otherwise noted.

THE FOLLOWING SUBMISSIONS WERE SENT TO LAUREL IN APRIL:

Adriana Chiara Fioravanti. New name.
	[Morlet, v.2, p.14] lists Adriana. It is also the name of a character in
Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors. [Withycombe, p.67] s.n. Clara, gives Chiara
as the Italian form; [de Felice N, p.105] gives both spellings. The
submitter supplies [RenDict, p.236] and [IRE, p.393] which cite Leonardo
Fioravanti, physician, born 1518, in addition to citations from the Online
Catasto dating the family name to the 15th c. Docs to Laurel.

Aénor d'Anjou. Change of name from Arawina of Ravenhall.
	Current name registered Jun 93; it is to be released if this passes.
	The submitter supplies copies of [Seward, p.18] and [Meade, p.16], both of
which give Aénor of Châtellerault as the mother of Eleanor of Aquitaine.
Anjou is the French province which Henry II of England (Eleanor's husband)
inherited from his father. [Dauzat, p.174] s.n. Danjou, notes that there is
also a village by this name.
	Laurel staff take note: Please be aware that this submitter has two badges
in the pipeline under her current name (submitted on the Atlantian LoI of
15 Mar 99).

Aislinn de Bhulbh. New badge. [fieldless] On a horse's head couped sable a
paw print argent.
	Name registered Jan 96.

Atlantia, Kingdom of. New badge for the Poeta Atlantiae. [fieldless] On an
open book per pale azure and argent bound sable, a mirror bendwise Or.
	Kingdom name registered IOB Aug 79.

Broinninn ingen ua Bhriain. New name.
	[OC&M] list Broinninn (p.38) and Brian (p.35f). [Woulfe, p.442] gives
Briain as the genitive of the latter, which we have also lenited as this is
a daughter's patronymic. Corrections to our grammar are welcome. The
submitter will accept minor corrections but not major ones.

Brian Killian the Red. Change of device. Gules, a grenade Or enflamed
proper, on a chief embattled argent three crescents sable.
	Name registered Dec 90. His previous device: Per chevron rayonny gules and
Or, a sword fracted in chevron argent and a grenade sable enflamed proper,
was registered at that time; it is to be released if this passes.
	We note that the flames proper are drawn so that all the parts that touch
the field are Or, and concede that it was the only practical way to do so.

Brian Killian the Red. New badge. [fieldless] On a grenade Or enflamed
proper, a crescent sable.
	Name registered Dec 90.
	We note the device of Wolfgang Schwarzburg (Sep 93): Per saltire sable and
gules, on a fireball Or enflamed proper a winged cat segreant sable. There
is one CD for the (lack of) field. We are unsure, but lean towards giving a
CD between the single-flamed grenade and the four-flamed fireball, which
would provide the necessary second CD.

Caterina Lucrezia da Bergamo. New device. Per fess argent and sable, a
snake erect and nowed sable and an edelweiss slipped and leaved proper.
	Name submitted on the Atlantian LoI of 15 Mar 99.
	This was pended from March due to an incorrect blazon having been written
down at the consult table. A correct blazon has now been supplied.

Ceridwen ferch Owain. Resubmitted secondary name (ret'd by Laurel Jul 91):
household name for House of Gryphon Hall.
	Primary name registered Mar 87. Her alternate persona name Marguerite de
Beausant was returned by Laurel for lack of documentation of the byname;
this household name is a resubmission of that return. We note that the
return was made under the erroneous spelling "Ceridwen ferch Owayne," but
that is now listed in the Armorial as a variant spelling.
	[Reaney 3P, p.206] cites Godfrey Griffin 1197; the submitted spelling is
probably also referring to the monster by that name, which is spelled
"grifphon" in Chaucer and "gryffon" in Caxton (1481) according to the OED.
As noted in the submission for Elizabeth of Hadley Hall (registered Nov
98), [Tudor Atlas] cites Bradley Hall and Harpley Hall in Durham (p.73ff),
and Whitfeld Hall (among others) in Northumberland (p.137ff).

Christian Wulf. New name.
	[Withycombe, p.65] dates Christian in this spelling to 1424. [Reaney 3P,
p.498] s.n. Wolf, cites Robert Wulf 1166.

Cléirech Inse Leith. New name.
	Submitted as Cleireac of Inisliath, we have changed the name to the
documentable form. [OC&M, p.52] lists Cléirech. The byname is intended to
mean "of the Grey Island" in Gaelic. The submitter supplies personal
correspondence with Harpy, who notes the existing placenames "Inisglas"
(blue/green island), "Druim liath" and "Cell liath," citing Hogan's
Onomasticon Goedelicum. So the placename "Inis liath" should be plausible,
and putting that into the genitive/locative would yield "Inse Leith."

Collette de Calais. New device. Vert, two lions rampant reguardant
addorsed, on a chief argent three fleurs-de-lys sable.
	Name submitted on the Atlantian LoI of 15 Mar 99.
	This was pended from March due to no blazon having been written down at
the consult table. A correct blazon has now been supplied.

Demetria degli Stasi. New name and device. Checky sable and argent, on a
fess azure a lyre argent.
	[Morlet, v.2, p.40] lists Demetrius as a masculine name, of which Demetria
would be the standard feminization. The byname means "of the Stasi
(family)"; [de Felice C, p.241] lists Stasi.
	This was submitted as Demetria della Stanza. The byname was changed
because we could not document the original, but if "della Stanza" can be
documented in time for the LoI she would like it to replace "degli Stasi."

Eldred Ælfwald. New badge. [fieldless] A dragon statant azure.
	Name registered Mar 96.
	A potential conflict had been noted with the badge for Drachenwald's Order
of the Silver Guard: [tinctureless] A silver wrist guard engraved with a
dragon passant coward, wings addorsed, maintaining in dexter forepaw a
sword erect, actually has the wrist guard drawn in the actual emblazon;
this makes their dragon a tertiary charge, not a primary, and thus not a
conflict.
	If registered, this will be the fourth piece of armory for the submitter,
which is the current limit; he will not be able to register any more armory
without releasing some.

Erik the Bear. New name.
	[Geirr Bassi, p.9] cites Eiríkr from the Landnámabók; Erik is a reasonable
Anglicization. [Withycombe, p.105] notes one (Latinized) "Iricus" in the
Domesday Book but that the name "seems to have soon died out." [Reaney 3P,
p.34] cites Theodoricus le Bere 1166, with Bear as the header spelling.

Fiona MacLeod. New name and device. Per bend rayonny argent and sable, a
dragon segreant purpure and a skull argent.
	Fiona has been declared SCA-compatible, which despite the submitter's
assertions to the contrary is the only way it is registerable. MacLeod is
an Anglicized form of mac Leóid as found in [Woulfe, p.387]. In an
Anglicized context this can be an inherited surname, thus usable with a
female given name.

Gwendolyn of Aaron Isles and Aldred Blackwood. Joint household name for
House Gaping Maw.
	Gwendolyn's name was registered Mar 89 via Meridies. Aldred's name was
registered Nov 98 via Atlantia.
	This name is patterned after an "inn" or "sign" name. Gaping is used to
mean "opened wide"; [COED] dates this use of gape to 1220 (p.1114a), and
maw to 1530 in the sense of "throat, gullet, mouth or jaws" (p.1748b).

Julianna Fiorentini. New name and device. Azure, three peacock feathers
issuant from in base a fleur-de-lys Or.
	[Morlet, v.2, p.67] lists Juliana. This Latin form eventually evolved into
Italian Giuliana which is found in [de Felice N, p.195] as a feminine form
of Giuliano. The extra N is more common in French but should be acceptable
here. [de Felice C, p.125] s.n. Firenze lists Fiorentini.
	We note a badge of Aelfgifu of the Hazel Thicket (May 88): Azure, four
feathers fretted argent. We consider Julianna's fleur-de-lys a secondary
charge, which gives us CD's for number and arrangement of primaries as well
as one for addition of a secondary.

Kisaiya Zingara. New name.
	Submitted as Kisaiya Zingaro; minor changes accepted but not major ones.
The submitter supplies pages from [Borrow] as documentation. Kisaiya is
asserted to be "a female Gypsy name" (p.58), and Zingaro to mean "a Gypsy,
a person of mixed blood" (p.101). The given name has been registered once
before, to Kisaiya Sonakeyeskie (Sep 92), who used the same documentation.
As for the byname, it is unlikely that the form Borrow uses is the actual
Romany form. In fact, it is the exact same as the Italian word for "gypsy."
We note that almost all European languages use a similar word to mean
"gypsy": Russian tsygan, German Zigeuner, French tzigane, etc. As an
Italian form, however, it must agree in gender with the given name, and we
have changed it accordingly.
	There was quite a bit of discussion at kingdom whether a Romany given name
was registerable at all. Certainly the Rom are in evidence throughout most
times and places of our period. The available evidence, however, indicates
that the Rom had two names for each person: a "use-name" in the local
vernacular, and a tribal name in Romany; under no circumstances whatsoever
would the tribal name ever be used in the presence of non-Rom. Based on
that, we conclude that Romany names may well be outside the scope of the
College of Arms. There is also the possibility that Kisaiya may be
documentable in another language; we solicit any help in tracking down that
lead. After much thrashing about, it was decided to send the name up to
Laurel complete with our misgivings, and let the College have at it.

Korbinian Qwythwolf. New name and device. Quarterly azure and sable, a wolf
rampant reguardant, on a chief wavy argent three corbies close sable.
	[Morlet, v.2, p.37] s.n. Corbinus, notes a 7th-c. saint Corbinien.
[Drosdowski, p.133] indicates this saint was the bishop of Freising, name
day November 20, and corroborates the century. [Selten, v.2, p.105] s.n.
Hwitwulf, cites Juliana and Nicholas Qwythwolf 1381.
	The submitter will be instructed to draw the wavy line more boldly.

Luqman al-Maghrebi. New name and device. Per fess vert and sable, a sun
within a bordure nebuly Or.
	The submitter cites al-Jamal's article "Arabic Names and Naming Practices"
in the Onomastics volume of [KWHS 1993] for Luqman (p.28) and al-Maghrebi
(p.31).

Martin Gareth. New name and device. Per pale azure and gules, a pegasus
segreant between three broadarrows inverted argent.
	The submitter supplies [Hetherington, p.264] which cites Martin of Zagreb
1468 and Martinus 873. Docs to Laurel. [Withycombe] cites Martin(us)
(p.210) with dates of 1196, 1273 and 1428, and dates Gareth (p.125f) to
1593. That is awfully late for use as an unmarked patronymic, but as the
name derives from Arthurian literature we expect some form to have been in
use earlier, which may have evolved into the submitted form. If the byname
is not deemed acceptable as is, we note that [Reaney 3P, p.185] lists Garth
as a header spelling, dating John del Garth to 1297.

Matthias von Oberernwaldt. New name.
	[Morlet, v.2, p.76] lists Matthias. The locative is German, roughly
translated as "upper hawk's forest"; the submitter is from one of the
higher-altitude sections of the Canton of Hawkwood. [Bahlow Geo] notes
Oberbayern (p.9 s.n. Ammer) as one example of a typical use of the Ober-
prefix. The root Ern- is cited in the entry for Ernsbach (p.124), and we
found among others Kobelwald (p.268) and Odenwald (p.359). Based on the
place names we found, we decided this was a plausible construction. The
submitter will accept minor corrections but not major ones.

Morgan Catriona Bruce. Household name and badge for House of Blackpool
Hold. Sable, a dexter tierce embattled argent.
	Primary name registered Jan 85.
	Blackpool is the name of an English city between Liverpool and Lancaster
on the Irish Sea. Hold is intended to mean "fort(ress)"; [COED, p.1318c]
dates this use of the word to 1300.

Morgan Catriona Bruce. New household badge for House of Blackpool Hold.
[fieldless] A wooden bucket proper.
	Primary name registered Jan 85. Household name submitted above.

Neamhain inghean uí hEidirsceóil. New name and device. Per pale argent and
sable, a scythe and a broom inverted crossed in saltire counterchanged.
	[OC&M, p.145] s.n. Nemon, lists Neamhain as a later form. [Woulfe, p.565]
lists Ó hEidirsceóil.
	Submitted as Neamhain O'Eidirsceoil; the submitter will accept minor
changes but not major ones. The submitted name used a masculine form of the
byname, and we have changed it to the feminine. Just in case, we secured
the submitter's explicit permission to make that change.

Quhinten O'Finney. Resubmitted name (ret'd by Atlantia Dec 98) and new
device. Erminois, a sword between two single-headed chess knights
respectant sable.
	His previous name submission: Quhinten Ó Fidhne, was returned for mixing
Gaelic and English orthographies. We recommended the current spelling in
the return letter as an acceptable possibility, which the client has chosen
to use for the resubmission.
	The submitter supplies a letter from the Academy of S. Gabriel, which
cites [Black] for Quhinten/Quhintein Thomssone 1606 and [MacLysaght] for
the Irish Ó Fídhne, Ó Fighne, and Ó Fiannaidhe which were Anglicized to
O'Finney and then later to just Finney.

Saint Georges, Canton of. Resubmitted device (ret'd by Laurel Feb 99). Or,
a stag's head erased gules within a laurel wreath vert, in base three
barrulets wavy azure.
	Name registered Feb 99. This exact device was returned at that time for
lack of a petition. A petition has now been supplied.

Seola Buri. New name.
	[Socin] dates Seola to 1312 (p.221) and gives Buri in the surname index;
the closest spelling to that submitted is the citation on Burchart meister
Buris dated to 1285. We suspect that citation may have the name in a
different case than what is needed for this submission, but we are not
sure, and solicit corrections to the grammar. The submitter will take
"Buris" if the form without the "s" is not acceptable.

THE FOLLOWING SUBMISSIONS WERE RETURNED BY GOLDEN DOLPHIN IN APRIL:

Cléirech Inse Leith. New device. Per pale argent and azure, on a sun
between three Celtic crosses, a chalice counterchanged.
	Name submitted above.
	This conflicts with a badge of Shron Ravenhair (Sep 84): Per pale argent
and azure, on a sun a mullet of four points, all counterchanged. A sun is
not a simple charge for the purpose of RfS X.4.j.(ii), therefore there is
no difference for type only of the charge on the sun. The only CD is for
addition of the crosses.

Deirdre of Boolteens. New badge. [fieldless] On a crescent sable a
butterfly Or.
	Name registered Feb 94.
	This conflicts with a badge of Tigranes of Bezabde (Feb 95): [fieldless] A
crescent sable fimbriated, charged with a sun Or winged argent. A crescent
is not simple for the purpose of RfS X.4.j.(ii); therefore, in order to get
a CD for the tertiaries, one must have substantial difference of two of the
following properties: type, number, tincture, posture, or independent
change of arrangement, and the difference must apply to the entirety of the
tertiary charge(s). Unfortunately, while there is a substantial difference
of type, the tincture is not totally different, and so there is no CD
between the butterfly and the winged sun, leaving only the CD for the
mutual lack of field. Adding a second butterfly is one possible way of
clearing this particular conflict.

Erik the Bear. New device. Or, in pale a brown bear's head cabossed proper
and in saltire a dagger argent hilted "brown" and an axe proper.
	This violates RfS VIII.1.a - "...three or more types of charges should not
be used in the same group." As drawn, the bear's head is just as
significant as the axe and sword; they are all therefore part of the same
charge group. The sword itself also violates RfS VII.7.b (inappropriate and
unblazonable tincture) and VIII.2.b (Rule of Tincture, metal on metal). A
sword proper has an argent blade and an Or hilt; brown is not a heraldic
tincture so we do not register it except when used for charges that are
generally brown by nature, such as the head of a brown bear. In any case,
the sword is predominantly argent, and may not be used on a metal
background.

Erik the Bear. Secondary Household name and badge for Bear Clan.
[fieldless] A brown bear's head cabossed, divided in an unblazonable manner
sable and proper.
	Primary name submitted above. The submitter will accept NO CHANGES
WHATSOEVER.
	Bear is a modern spelling of two OE words cited in [Reaney 3P, p.34]:
bearu "grove" which gave rise to three dozen or more place-names in Devon,
Somerset and Dorset; and bera "bear" as in Ralph Bere 1177. The modern
surname (in many spellings) can derive from either. The submitter will
accept NO changes.
	In Apr 1997, Laurel returned this exact household name for insufficient
documentation and non-period style (Returns, Trimaris, s.n. Atalaya
Sanadora). The documentation provided here was likewise not sufficient; in
light of the earlier return of this exact name for violating RfS
III.2.b.(iv) we must likewise return it for the same reason. More
specifically: no evidence was provided for use of the term "Clan" to mean a
family grouping in an English-speaking culture, much less in the same time
period that "Bear" was in use as a family name.
	Simply saying that the name "was approved by the Atlantian heralds at
Pennsic" means nothing. Proper documentation consists of specific page
references out of reputable sources. If a source is not listed on Laurel's
list of "photocopies not required," then for that source the following must
be supplied: two copies each of the page(s) referred to, the article's
title page (if appropriate), the book's title page and its publication info
page.
We would need copies for every book referenced on the submission form.
	The badge is being returned for a redraw. As drawn, the bear's head is
more than half black; markings to indicate shadow on a brown bear's head
would take up much less of the available space, 10 per cent at most. The
badge therefore violates RfS VII.7.b, as it cannot be blazoned in such a
manner as to ensure reconstructibility of the head.

Etain of Kells. New name and device. Per bend argent and vert, a shamrock
and a sagittary passant reguardant, a bordure counterchanged.
	Submitter supplied page 561 of the Oxford Guide to Irish Literature which
notes the saga trilogy Tochmarc Étaíne "The Wooing of Étaín." Kells is an
Irish monastery built in the 9th century, which produced one of the
better-known illuminated manuscripts extant. The town which grew up around
it was well known in period for metalworking.
	The given name as submitted is problematical. The correct Irish form would
have the accent marks; we have not been able to document this spelling as
an Anglicized form. The submitter needs to choose either the Gaelic or
Anglicized spellings. The combination of Gaelic and English orthographies
is not found until the Elizabethan period and is extremely rare even then,
so we recommend researching the Anglicized form and using it. The device is
being returned for lack of a name.

Garith of Sable. New name and device. Sable, a scorpion rampant in trian
aspect, a bordure dovetailed argent.
	No documentation, nor any hint thereto, was provided for Garith. Submitter
provided pages from a National Geographic indicating that Sable is a French
town halfway between Angers and Le Mans in the northern Loire Country.
	The name is being returned for lack of documentation of the given name. As
scorpions were not depicted in trian aspect in period armory, they are not
allowed to be so depicted in SCA armory; the device is being returned for
that reason.

Gwendolyn of Aaron Isles and Aldred Blackwood. Joint household badge for
House Gaping Maw. [fieldless] A pair of lips "wide open" vert, toothed
argent.
	Gwendolyn's name registered Mar 89 via Meridies. Aldred's name registered
Nov 98. Household name submitted above.
	The charge was originally blazoned "An open mouth." As drawn this is only
lips and teeth, with no hint of an actual mouth behind it. We do not
consider this acceptable as an heraldic charge, unless the submitter can
provide evidence of this depiction -- including the voiding -- as a period
heraldic charge or in period art.
	Would this be acceptable if the interior were colored in? Perhaps. But
since this would be the defining instance as an heraldic charge of an "open
mouth," as opposed to a closed mouth (i.e. pair of lips), we would still
need documentation that this depiction was used in period heraldry or art.

Máille ingen Bran Cadal. New badge. Azure, in fess a demi-lion couchant to
sinister Or sustaining a Celtic cross bendwise sinister sable.
	Name returned by Laurel Mar 99.
	The cross is too big to be a maintained charge; it is co-primary with the
lion, and is thus subject to the Rule of Tincture, which it breaks (being
color on color). There is also a potential problem with the form of the
cross: the style of the arms is typical of an equal-armed Celtic cross. If
the cross were truly an equal-armed cross, without the elongation of the
arm the lion is holding, it would be small enough to be considered a
maintained charge.

Nicholas d'Avignon. Resubmitted device (ret'd by Atlantia Feb 95). Gyronny
argent and azure, a griffin segreant, in base a mullet, all within an orle
sable.
	Name registered Jun 95. His previous device submission: Argent, a pile
inverted sable charged with a sword argent between two piles azure each
charged with a fleur-de-lys argent, was returned for conflict. This is a
complete redesign.
	A gyronny field consists of the combination of both quarterly and per
saltire lines of division, all meeting at the center. The per-saltire lines
must issue from the corners of the shield. As this is not the case here, we
are returning it for a redraw. Please note that the submission forms come
with guide marks for all the lines of division that are needed in this
instance.

Shamus O'Neill. New name and device. Per pale argent and sable, a
single-headed chess knight counterchanged, on a chief checky sable and
argent three roses argent.
	This submission did not have complete paperwork, and repeated attempts to
rectify the situation failed.	In addition, the device has bad contrast,
with white roses on a partially-white chief.