Re: Whatever happened to...

Poster: "bryan cannata" <bkill@hotmail.com>

The conventions of combat clearly state that we are wearing chainmail over
hardend leather and an open faced helm, Regardless of what the individual
fighter is wearing. So if you are actually wearing a great helm you would
judge blows to the head as if you were wearing an open faced helm. All it
would do is weight you down and cause you to lose a lot of vision. The great
helm was made for the man on horse back during a joust, not for the foot
soldier.

>From: BlakHart66@aol.com
>To: blackdiamond@wlu.edu
>CC: atlantia@atlantia.sca.org
>Subject: Whatever happened to...
>Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 17:22:47 EDT
>

>Poster: BlakHart66@aol.com
>
>Whatever happened to the 'Helm of Ishmael' (I think thats what it was
>called)
>- the 'Oh my god thats a big helm'....I remember it being passed on at one
>of
>the first BD meetings I attended, but haven't seen it at any events, and as
>recall, it was supposed to be brought to all events at which there was a
>major BD showing...
>
>This also brings to mind a combat question - if someone were, for some
>strange reason, to actually wear a great helm such as that over their
>regular
>helm, how would blows to the head be resolved? I would think that any but
>the
>strongest blows to any part of the head, excepting the face, would be
>unable
>to pierce through the double protective layer. I suppose that mass weapons
>would be able to crush through, but the overly large target would be
>pointless for a mere long sword to hit...
>Of course, this also brings to mind the question, would it be legal in the
>first place to wear? I am far from being an expert on combat rules, but I
>don't recall seeing any regulation against wearing great helms....were they
>ever used in period, outside of ceremonial usage? I know that the rules and
>regulations are constantly being smoothed out - apparently the recent crown
>tourney was the first to have a double kill, as there seemed to be a brief
>discussion on the field between the marshals and HRM about whether a
>victory
>was 2 wins, or if elimination from the finals was 2 losses... It was nice
>watch a rules addendum being made, not caused by someone getting injured.
>Anyway, these are just a few thoughts I've had today, while mowing the
>lawn... thought I'd share them with y'all and get another discussion
>going....
>
>Gideon

"Ubi honor fidesque ducunt"
(Where honor and duty lead)